Thursday, March 20, 2008

To eat or not to eat....that is the question!

I don’t know if you’ve noticed….but food is EXPENSIVE these days!!!! WOW!!!
Our Grocery budget is $250.00 - that includes food, toiletries, paper products and all. Now down here in the South where we live, groceries have SKYROCKETED! Eggs are almost $2 per dozen, lettuce is an average of $1.40!! CRAZINESS!! We are meat ‘n’ potatoes people, DH needs meat at every meal, and that can mean high bills unless I plan. I have certain amounts that I refuse to pay above on everything. Meat is bought in bulk when on sale, and we have a deep freezer. That helps SO much!! I get chicken quarters for $.39-$.49 per pound, hamburger for $.89-$.99 and so on. We use everything too, except the bones, lol - which I throw away after I boil them for the extra meat and stock. I get potatoes in bulk too - $8 for 50 pounds. Usually we have a huge garden, and I can like a crazy woman during the summer. This year we’re unable to have our normal garden. We just moved here a few weeks ago and with all the craziness of moving aren’t going to be able to get one ready in time. I’m going to feel LOST. I am going to plant quite a few tomato plants in the flower beds though - that’s the main thing we are almost out of. I canned a ton of salsa and pickles and corn last year, so all I really need to worry about is tomatoes for soups next winter. I think I can handle that.
At any rate, spending less and less on groceries is getting harder and harder to do. I’ve found though that if I pray before I go out, and am organized enough and plan ahead, that I CAN do it, and that God blesses fully while I’m out. Just last week I found some incredible things that I couldn’t believe. Still, it’s sometimes an interesting struggle. I have $3 left this week, and I am completely out of bread and milk. Granted I can make my own bread, but DH prefers store bought. *sigh* He’s still being trained. We used to be able to buy bread in bulk too - $3 for a cart load, and then I froze it. Now though, even the discount stores around here are $1.09 per loaf. I hope to post my grocery lists or what I do purchase, and that will keep me accountable, since we only use cash and we also use envelopes. We shall see!!!

No comments: